SeaSucker is known for products that utilize vacuum technology to make products such as racks for skis, snowboards, surfboards, canoes, and bikes.
Their bike racks are particularly popular.
They cost about $300 dollars for a single- bike rack and $400+ for the rest.
Sounds a bit pricey, doesn’t it?
Some people argue that they are worth every penny, this article will help you decide whether or not they are reliable and if they fail.
How does the SeaSucker bike rack work?
Most people are highly skeptical of a bike rack that just utilizes suction mounts, but there is no need to worry.
SeaSucker racks are attached to a flat surface using vacuum mounts. The combination of high atmospheric pressure and pumping creates an airtight and strong seal which helps them stay intact on the surface.
They actually report a pull rating of 100lbs for their 4” SeaSucker and just over 200lbs for the 6”, so they are very dependable.
Seasucker bike rack failure – does it happen?
Pros and Cons
- Regular bike racks are sometimes too big for smaller cars, but the size of a SeaSucker is perfect for every vehicle.
- Easy and quick install.
- With a SeaSucker bike rack install, you don’t have to drill any holes and possibly damage or scratch your car
- They are light in nature and are therefore portable
- SeaSucker mounts are solid and long-lasting especially on a flat and smooth surface.
- SeaSucker racks only have a capacity of one to three bikes. They are not suitable for transporting many bikes.
- They are expensive
- They are not necessarily permanent- even if they last long, any damage can affect their suction.
- Some people have complained that their design isn’t suitable for lock use.
SeaSucker Bike Racks.
SeaSucker Talon Bicycle Rack for 1 bike
SeaSucker Mini Bomber Two Bike Rack
SeaSucker Bomber Three Bike rack
The SeaSucker Komodo Convertible
How to install a SeaSucker?
The first crucial step is ensuring the surface of the vehicle is flat and smooth.
Clean and dry the bike’s surface using a small soft cloth as well as the suction mounts. They don’t have to be completely dry though. Some little water can help in making the seal airtight.
Place the mount on the surface and start pumping to make it firm. Pump multiple times until the orange-red strip disappears, the band is there to guide you on when to stop.
If you aren’t sure that your surface is smooth enough, you can apply a little gel, preferably water-based, on the inside to act as a light lube.
How to maintain SeaSucker bike rack?
The airtight seal is what makes the rack secure, so it has to be protected at all costs.
To ensure you use your rack for a long time, take the following measures.
- Clean the mounts every time you plan to use them with a soft sponge. Water alone will be enough but for extra dirt, you can use mild soap.
- Before storing the SeaSucker while you are not using it, make sure you use the protective covers that come with it.
- Regularly inspect the mounts and if the band starts to show, pump it a few times
- Any visible cuts will affect the suction, so replace the sealing pads immediately you notice cuts even if you think they are insignificant.
- You can lubricate the pads using a silicon-based gel or a water-based gel.
- Keep it away from dirt and direct sunlight.
Will too much sun affect my SeaSucker?
SeaSuckers are made to resist damage from the sun, but prolonged exposure will still damage the plastic parts over time.
Which is the best SeaSucker Bike Rack?
All of them work well, so I can’t really say that one is better than the other.
The most popular is the Talon because of its portable nature.
What is the warranty on SeaSucker products?
SeaSucker has a lifetime warranty for any damages and replacement. This is one of the factors that make the price worth it.
How durable are the SeaSucker mounts?
Please note that SeaSucker mounts aren’t supposed to be left on for a long time.
They will however last a long time only if they are properly installed, regularly checked and well maintained.
The seals need to be changed whenever they lose their suction, and the durability will depend on maintenance.
Is it ok to use my Seasucker in cold weather?
Some people have claimed that the vacuum mounts will not hold when it is extremely cold.
On the other hand, SeaSucker roof racks are used for snowboards which means they are used for cold weather sports.
They state on their website that the mounts will work fine provided you make sure they are at room temperature before installation.
At the beginning of this article, the goal in mind was to establish whether a SeaSucker Bike Rack was a good investment.
With all the information above, you can now make the call.